Wednesday 7 May 2014

Question 1: In What Ways Does Your Media Product Use, Develop or Challenge Forms and Conventions of Real Media Products?

In What Ways Does Your Media Product Use, Develop or Challenge Forms and Conventions of Real Media Products?

My Music Video promotion conforms to music video conventions by following existing styles of music videos and conforming to theorists ideologies and methods.

When researching music videos I noticed that they fell into three groups, performance, narrative and abstract. The style of my music video is a narrative telling the story of the song, I have approached this in an ironic sense, the music video lyrics 'still alive' are taken in an ironic sense with the character eventually committing suicide.  When researching music videos I noticed that music videos largely consisted of videos that reflected the lyrics been sung, to challenge this I made sure to use the song in ironic terms not applying the usual conventions of a music video. However my music video also includes parts of performance with the star of the video appearing in my video.

I used the slow editing with constant slow camera movement from Lisa Miskovsky's Music video 'Got A Friend'. In the music video the editing is slow paced but reflects the mood of the song, the video also compromises of long shots mixed with close up shots, I have combined these together in my music video making sure to reflect the original mood of the song and increasing editing speeds where necessary.

Mt music video has a slow rhythm and pace to it and whilst it tells a stormy it doesn't have a real meaning behind it, my music video follows the 'Surface without substance' Post modern theory set out by Fredrick Jameson, because whilst my music video is appealing it doesn't have a large moral message or deeper meaning. This is common in music videos and can be seen in real world examples such as Lady Gaga's applause which is a show of Lady Gaga changing from a dancer to a swan. This application of the theory was crucial to my music video and is reflected by my music video looking visually appealing and providing surface entertainment

I challenged the traditional music video complex of a love story between two main characters, this can be seen in music videos such as You Make Me by Avicii in which the characters have a fight but ultimately the main male character that the audience were  for gets the girl and they go off together happy. I challenged this in my music video by having the main characters fall out of love and ultimately drive them so far apart that by killing on of the characters I could make sure that the audience would realise that the characters would never get back together and I could completely invert the conventions.

In my Digipack I have followed conventions existing on real life examples, these include the placement of fonts and logos. I have made sure to look at the Indie Genre in particular and during my research I learned that the Covers usually reflect the same thing showing a single female on a colourful background, I made sure to follow this whilst also having the existing conventions of the placement of models, logos and the overall presentation of the final product.
 following the conventions in my digipack creation was difficult because I had to create something that would match my music video in the same style. I included both of my artist and model together on the front of the album cover to create identification of the artists in the music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment